Lately, corporate regulations are being rolled back at record speeds. (What, you want to dump all your coal ash in our natural rivers? Yes. Of course. Come on in, the water’s fine.) It’s our belief that as bad as these rollbacks are, regulations never really stopped big corporations from misbehaving. In fact, most corporations seem to get a weird kick out of acting like sociopaths and shitheads (Little known fact, Sociopaths And Shitheads was the original name for Little Debbie Snackcakes)
Though some corporations face real consequences for criminal actions, many more don’t. Most get away with being bad citizens (They are people after all, right Mitt?), and know there will never be serious prosecution or heaven forbid, jail time for any of their terrible or deliberate misdeeds – Unless you consider huge tax cuts punishment. Take that miscreant corporations! Let’s face it, corporate America is getting away with murder. Think we’re kidding? Check out our fun quiz as The Underemployed Life presents another true or false quiz on awful corporate behavior. See if you can guess them all correctly. Good luck, we’re all counting on you.
1. Did Coca-Cola go into a part of Appalachia in Kentucky and destroy part of their agriculture by privatizing their local water source? T or F.
2. Did Volkswagen install software on over 500,000 Audi, VW, and Porsche U.S. vehicles that would activate pollution controls in government tests of the vehicles, but shut them off once they were out on the road being used by the public? T or F.
3. Speaking of auto manufacturers, did General Motors hide deadly safety defects in its cars from the public, which resulted in multiple deaths? T or F.
4. Was Citibank fined 700 million for illegally creating customer accounts without their permission? T or F.
5. Did a company named Carbofin use a so-called “magic hose” to dispose of sludge, waste oil, and oil-contaminated bilge water directly into a kiddie pool park that was barely ever used, bypassing required pollution prevention equipment? T or F.
6. Did noted charity, I mean Oilfield services company, Halliburton, improperly categorize more than 1,000 workers to deny them overtime pay? T or F.
7. Did Walmart label its selection of adult plus-size Halloween outfits “Costumes For Fatties?” T or F.
8. Did Citizens Bank keep the difference when customers mistakenly filled out deposit slips for amounts lower than the amount they actually transferred? T or F.
9. Did Blackwater Security, who did non-government security work in Iraq, get in trouble for running an ad in Craigslist that said, “Are you a veteran who misses the fun and excitement of war? If so, we have a place for you. Absolutely no psychological background checks. You’ll also get a 1,000 dollar signing bonus, and a 5,000 dollar bonus for your first confirmed, non-friendly fire kill.” T or F.
Click for answers.